From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT -Dumb Terminal and Bonus Question
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:28:32
1 Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 15:13 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >
4 >>Michael Sullivan wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>On my network there are two machines: baby and blossom. baby has a 900
7 >>>megahertz processor with 256MB RAM. blossom has a 200 megahertz
8 >>>processor with 128 RAM. Right now baby has Gentoo 2005.0 and blossom is
9 >>>running Red Hat 9. I would like to set up something where my wife can
10 >>>log in on blossom (it's my wife's computer) and it connects blossom to
11 >>>baby (via the network) I want blossom to act as a dumb terminal, with
12 >>>all requests made on blossom going to baby. My wife prefers GNOME, but
13 >>>it runs so slow on blossom (that's why she wanted RH9) I'm pretty sure
14 >>>there's a way to do this, but I don't know how to start. I know I could
15 >>>use Google, but I don't know how to phrase my query. I know that all
16 >>>this could be accomplished with ssh, but is there a simpler way?
17 >>>
18 >>
19 >>You want to use blossom as a thin client? Three choices that come to mind are xdmcp, nx, and vnc. If you want you can use a specialized thin client distro such as thinstation or ltsp.
22 > Can you point me to any tutorials/HowTo's about doing this?
25 To setup xdmcp on the server you can follow the Displaymanager instructions [1] from the gentoo ltsp howto. On the client you start the Xserver with the -query option (see the Xserver manpage). See the xdmcp howto [2] for further information.
26
27 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ltsp.xml#doc_chap3_sect8
28 [2] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/
29