From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Broken install?
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 04:05:31
1 Ryan Tandy wrote:
2 > JimD wrote:
3 >> OK, something weird is going on with a new install I just did. I might
4 >> have hosed /dev. I though udev takes card of /dev?
5 >>
6 >> When I boot the new install, I get a kernel panic about the root= line
7 >> in my grub.conf. So from the grub boot menu I press c and entered:
8 >>
9 >> root (hd0,0)
10 >> Filesytem type is reiserfs...
11 >>
12 >> kernel /boot/kern[TAB] (grub auto-completes) root=/dev[TAB]
13 >> Error 11: Unrecongnized device string.
14 >>
15 >> Did I break something or forget something?
16 >>
17 >> I booted into the gentoo install CD and mounted /dev/sda1 and /dev on my
18 >> disk is empty. I started to mknod some devices, however that could take
19 >> all night. Besides, I thought udev handles that? Or do I need a base
20 >> set of device files for the kernel until udev kicks in?
21 >>
22 >> Jim
23 >>
24 > A truly empty /dev is a bad thing. /dev needs to contain AT LEAST
25 > /dev/null and /dev/console in order for the kernel and baselayout to do
26 > their thing until udev kicks in. Those two files are all my /dev has,
27 > and it works fine.
28 >
29 > HTH.
30
31 Hmm, my kernel would not boot when I created just /dev/null,
32 /dev/console and /dev/sda* in the empty /dev. Once I did the steps I
33 listed previously, the system booted fine.
34
35 Did I miss some step with setting up udev? I have sys-fs/udev
36 installed. What kernel options are required?
37
38 Jim
39 --
41 There's no place like 127.0.0.1