From: Marcus Wanner <marcusw@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Seamonkey and LastPass
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 00:53:58
1 On 11/28/2009 5:03 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
3 >> On Saturday 28 November 2009 05:50:42 »Q« wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 00:57:54 +0200
6 >>> Alan McKinnon<alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> [about LastPass]
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>> What I find incredible is that people will accept the site's say-so
12 >>>> that the site admins can't read the data. They have not proven
13 >>>> anything, merely asserted something.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> The only way to do give that guarantee is to encrypt the data. Which
16 >>>> then needs a key. Someone must keep the key and it's either you or
17 >>>> them. If it's them, they can decrypt the data (same reason as DRM is
18 >>>> doomed to failure) and if it's you - well if you lose the key you
19 >>>> lose the data.
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Are you telling me that there are people gullible enough to actaully
22 >>>> fall for that one?
23 >>>>
24 >>> They claim that the decrypted data never leaves your computer and they
25 >>> they don't have a key to it. Many, many things aren't clear, such as
26 >>> what kind of encryption is used (same as the US gov't uses for "Top
27 >>> Secret" stuff, they say, heh), where and how the key is stored on your
28 >>> machine, on and on. I wouldn't dream of using them, but yeah, they have
29 >>> a substantial number of users.
30 >>>
31 >> I have an alarm system in my head. It's called the "Security by bullshit
32 >> baffles brains Alert". It's ringing right now ;-)
33 >>
34 >> Mind you, I have vendors who use exactly the same throw-around-bullshit-
35 >> statements-and-see-what-sticks approach. It works on the Account
36 >> Managers all
37 >> the time, and works on us techies none of them time.
38 >>
39 >> Lucky for us, techies rule around here. We get to tell the Account
40 >> Managers
41 >> that the vendor is talking crap, that we don't have to explain why,
42 >> that we
43 >> are not buying their crap and we are not using it, so please tell the
44 >> vendor
45 >> to leave the building and stop wasting my time :-)
49 > And to think I came here to ask others opinion BEFORE doing this. I
50 > was curious as to how this could work myself and if they can be
51 > trusted, or SHOULD be trusted. Seems everyone thinks no one should.
52 >
53 > That said, because of the way my bank and credit card site accepts the
54 > login and password, I bet it wouldn't work for them anyway. If I
55 > wanted a really long password that would be hard to guess, those two
56 > would be it.
57 >
58 > Dale
59 >
61 >
62 For my two cents, I would not trust anyone with my passwords, encrypted
63 or otherwise. Anyone who falls for this kind of thing should go learn
64 about security being a mindset, not a software package, and then check
65 out wikipedia's page on email viruses and the like.
66
67 Marcus