From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What (free) remote desktop do you use
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 14:25:05
1 On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 4:20 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 15/08/13 11:26, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> some recent updates of X11, gtk++ or glib has broken the possibility to
7 >> use some gnome3 applications (like a recent balsa)
8 >> via nxclient.
9 >>
10 >> Since NX3's internal X-server has some known deficiencies and Nomachine
11 >> has stopped the development of NX3 and
12 >> has closed sources of NX4, I am in need for some replacement since
13 >> 'ssh -Y' is dead slow even on an 15 megabit/sec connection.
14 >>
15 >> What remote desktop do you use?
18 > I've been using x2go for years. It's based on NX, so not sure if it will
19 > exhibit the same problem.
20
21 I also use x2go, but not gnome3 so I cannot speak to whether or not it
22 has issues with that specifically. NX has had issues for past couple
23 years with bad combinations of cairo + Xorg + NX libs causing weird
24 things like missing fonts in gtk+ apps and random crashing/stalling.
25 Latest version of x2go does not seem to suffer this problem, for now.
26
27 The official x2go-client is not as good compared to nxclient, in my
28 opinion, as far as managing connections and general look and feel and
29 behavior of the app, but once you're connected it works just the same.
30 I connect to my home computer from my mobile phone over 3G and the
31 speed is great, but too bad the screen is so small! :)