From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone using xfce4 with compositing turned off?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 03:49:01
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 21:10:28 +0200
4 > <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > Kernel driver in use: radeon
7 >
8 > <gigabytes snipped for readability>
9 >
10 > Hi wabe. This whole radeon thing is so confusing I thought I'd
11 > mention one more very confusing detail that I had to fix before I got
12 > the open- source ati/radeon driver to work correctly:
13 >
14 > First I tried starting my X session with no xorg.conf file at all.
15 > That didn't work but of course I can't remember now what went wrong.
16 > (That was already more than 24 hours ago :)
17
18 It's good to know that I'm not the only one with a week memory. Every
19 day I thank God for these little yellow post-it stickers. :-)
20
21 > Then I generated an xorg.conf in the old way using 'Xorg -configure'.
22 > That file didn't work right either.
23 >
24 > Then I finally realized that the generated xorg.conf had, in the
25 > Section "Device" section, this line:
26 >
27 > Driver "radeon"
28 >
29 > But that's not what we want. To use the open-source ati driver I
30 > changed that line to read:
31 >
32 > Driver "ati"
33 >
34 > And that's when everything finally started to work perfectly.
35
36 That's strange. What kind of GPU do you have? With my R7 250E I must
37 use "radeon" as driver in xorg.conf. IIRC I also used the same config
38 for my old GPU (Radeon HD4550).
39
40 > One more thing that confused me: the xf86-video-ati package doesn't
41 > install any kernel modules. It installs only these two files:
42 >
43 > /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
44 > /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
45
46 That's ok. It's the same on my system.
47
48 BTW: I don't use any kernel modules at all.
49
50 > but to use those files you need that Driver "ati" line in xorg.conf.
51 > <sigh>
52
53 Below you find my complete xorg.conf. Actually I don't know if my X
54 would also work without the device section. What I remember is that
55 I had trouble to get my keyboard working without the InputDevice
56 section. But this is some years ago. Meanwhile I have a new keyboard
57 and maybe I don't need a xorg.conf anymore.
58
59 I will test this soon, if I don't forget it. :-)
62 Section "InputDevice"
63 Driver "kbd"
64 Identifier "Keyboard[0]"
65 Option "AutoRepeat" "500 2"