From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 22:03:58
1 On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 23:06:56 +0200, Kai Krakow wrote:
2
3 > If you want to use it as a backup, and it's external (which it should
4 > be), by all means: partition it. It acts as a protection layer against
5 > silly OSes that may simply wipe data at the beginning (maybe by
6 > accident) because there is no partition and they cannot detect that
7 > there is data stored on the disk, and this destroy your fs superblock -
8 > which is what you don't want.
9
10 That's an excellent point. I've just started using unpartitioned disks
11 with btrfs, but they are safely tucked away inside my computer. I can see
12 how having no partition table on an external disk is asking for trouble.
16 Neil Bothwick
17
18 Data to Picard: 'No, Captain, I do NOT run WINDOWS!'