From: michael@×××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] new gentoo installed but can't boot: "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press Enter"
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 07:33:30
1 Hello,
2
3 I've been using my computer for awhile and decided to upgrade to gentoo
4 2005.1. Since there is nothing important on this system I decide to
5 install from scratch. I follow the quickinstall howto and reference the
6 installation manual for 2005.1 and my own notes, as I've installed
7 perhaps 8 or so gentoo systems.
8
9 I'm using the Universal 2005.1 live CDROM.
10
11 Everything proceeds well, including installing grub, setting up
12 grub.conf and running grub-install, and when I'm finished I exit
13 the chroot environment, umount my root and boot partitions, and reboot.
14
15 It fails, with the dreaded message " Disk Boot Failure, Insert System
16 Disk And Press Enter".
17
18 I boot the live CD again, double check my grub.conf file, run
19 grub-install again, check with fdisk that my boot partition is bootable,
20 and try again. Same result.
21
22 I'm mystified. I've been using this computer for developing systems over
23 the past few months and have rebooted it many, many times, with no
24 difficulty.
25
26 I figure it's failing very early if I'm not even getting into grub.
27
28 Any ideas? Any suggestions for what to test, inspect, try?
29
30 Thanks,
31 Michael
32 --