From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hubris?
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 12:32:07
1 On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 8:16 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 12:39:47 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >
4 >> In particular, is there a suitable installation medium that can create
5 >> BTRFS before installing into it?
6 >
7 > System Rescue Cd, I've just installed a new laptop with it, using btrfs
8 > for everything but /boot.
11 Agree - I use that as my, well, rescue image in part because it ships
12 recent kernels and has btrfs support. Just be sure to use the most
13 recent version, and boot with the alternate kernel (which is currently
14 3.18-based). With btrfs you'll want a recent kernel - I am currently
15 tracking 3.18 which is the most recent longterm, and will probably
16 jump to the next longterm when it matures.
17
18 Just avoid parity raid (raid5/6) for now - that is very immature and
19 there are constant reports of problems (it really was only supported
20 at all in the last few months). Also, if you want to migrate an
21 existing ext3/4 partition check the lists as there have been a bunch
22 of threads about conversion issues recently - that should be a
23 non-issue if you're just formatting a new partition.
24
25 Grub2 can also read your kernel/initramfs from btrfs, so I'd recommend
26 it even though you're trying to avoid it. Otherwise you're probably
27 going to need a separate ext4 boot partition (I don't think legacy
28 grub can read btrfs). I just make install my kernels and use
29 grub2-mkconfig - it is nice having a list of older kernels
30 auto-updated. Or you can hand-roll the config like you do in grub -
31 it isn't any harder than it used to be but there just aren't as many
32 docs on how to do it.
36 Rich