From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] locale issue to clean up
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 00:02:36
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 >>> lightning ~ # cat /etc/locale.gen
4 >>> en_US ISO-8859-1
5 >>> en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
6
7 Just to be safe, try running locale-gen again. The glibc
8 ebuild does this automatically, but if you've changed
9 locale.gen since the last time that ebuild ran, you need to
10 run locale-gen to pick up the changes.
11
12 >>> lightning ~ # cat /etc/env.d/02locale
13 >>> LANG=en_US
14
15 I think that adding LC_ALL="en_US" in this file should be
16 all you need. Basically, your "locale" is made up of about
17 a dozen different settings that describe how to display
18 things like dates, money, big numbers, sorted lists, etc.
19 Each of these options has an LC_* variable associated with
20 it. Additionally, there is a LANG variable that specifies
21 which language translation to use (LANGUAGES is a
22 GNU-specific alternative to LC_MESSAGES, IIRC, and I rarely
23 specify it).
24
25 LC_ALL is used if you know you want the use one locale for
26 everything, and specifying LC_ALL="en_US" will automatically
27 set all of the others for you. Setting that end rerunning
28 env-update ; source /etc/profile should get rid of those
29 locale errors.
32 > Looking above I don't have LANG or LC_ALL entries and the LINGUAS is
33 > suspect. If I was to convert them to your settings do I then need to
34 > rebuild any apps that use them?
35
36 You don't need LANG/LC_ALL in your make.conf if they are set
37 properly in your environment, e.g. in env.d/02locale, since
38 they are both run-time environment settings that you want to
39 be the same everywhere.
40
41 LINGUAS is a build-time setting that tells any
42 localization-aware autoconf scripts to install the language
43 translation files for the set of languages you listed.
44 Having LINGUAS="en en_US" in make.conf is correct, it makes
45 sure that only English-language translations are installed.
46 (Not all applications are LINGUAS-aware, so you will still
47 see a lot of other languages you didn't ask for.).