From: Wolfgang Liebich <Wolfgang.Liebich@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DRI doesn't work with xorg 7.4 and an intel chipset Q35 board
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 06:12:46
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 05:51:02PM +0000, Momesso Andrea wrote:
4 > On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 02:05:14PM +0500, Mike Kazantsev wrote:
5 > > On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:17:49 +0100
6 > > Wolfgang.Liebich@×××××××.com wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > I've upgraded to 2.6.27-gentoo-r10 - no change.
9 > >
10 > > Prehaps it'll help to upgrade to the latest developers-stable kernel
11 > > (2.6.29), since there are quite a few changes, affecting intel video,
12 > > most notable of which, of course, is GEM, which still (afaik) works
13 > > only with intel.
14 > >
15 > > http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_28#head-b957b19f6139b6bbbfabaf790bf643b1746985d6
16 > > http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_29#head-e1bab8dc862e3b477cc38d87e8ddc779a66509d1
17 > >
18 > If you upgrade to 2.6.29 DO NOT enable modesetting by default... As the
19 > help says (and also my first hand experience) it will break things such
20 > as the intelfb.
21
22 Thanks for the tip. I do not use framebuffers at all, though.
25 > And, by the way, there are not yet drivers supporting it.
26
27 So it's somewhat useless - I see :-/
28
29 Some further experiences with other kernels:
30 - I've upgraded to the latest & greatest xorg-x11; this move DID solve
31 the "instant crash on openGL usage" bug, BUT it introduced some new
32 problems:
33 -- some calls to mplayer also instantly crash the X server. I did not
34 yet get around to pinning this problem down exactly.
35
36 -- Tests with glxgears show that as soon as I enable DRI, the
37 framerate DROPS from about 500 to 50. HUH???
38 -- Sometimes when shutting down, the shutdown of the X server does not
39 correctly reset the console - as soon as X-Server dies, some strange
40 color pattens are all that remain visible. As long as the shutdown
41 works, this is more of an annoyance than a problem, but if I want to
42 drop to console mode, this WOULD be a problem.
45 - Using kernel gentoo-sources-2.6.29-gentoo I get a problem during
46 shutdown: The shutdown of ALSA hangs, and I can only stop the computer
47 with the Alt-SysRq-Trick. The Alt-SysRQ shows that it seems to hang
48 during a rmmod - removing the ALSA modules has problems at this kernel
49 version. I'm using intel on board audio (intel-hda module). Sound
50 works - it's "only" a shutdown problem.
51
52 Ciao,
53 Wolfgang Liebich