From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update-modules obsolete?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 22:09:01
1 On Sunday 19 Jun 2011 22:06:12 walt wrote:
2 > For some reason I've never before had to fool with update-modules
3 > because all my needed kernel modules just load by magic when I boot.
4 >
5 > Now I'm fiddling with a virtualbox gentoo guest on a gentoo host,
6 > and the vboxvideo kernel module is not loading 'by magic' in the
7 > guest machine.
8 >
9 > So, how to do it? When I edit /etc/conf.d/modules to include the
10 > vboxvideo module and run update-modules -f -v I see:
11 >
12 > "No need to generate modprobe.conf
13 > Skipping /etc/modprobe.conf generation (generate-modprobe.conf
14 > doesn't exist)"
15 >
16 > True enough, generate-modprobe.conf doesn't exist any longer on
17 > my ~x86 and ~amd64 machines.
18 >
19 > I'm running openrc-0.8.2-r1, baselayout-2.0.3, and module-init-tools-
20 > 3.16-r1.
21 >
22 > Which HOWTO do I need to read to get myself up-to-date :)
23 >
24 > Many thanks for any clues.
25
26 Have a look at:
27
28 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
29
30 It explains how to get your modules configured so that get loaded at start up.
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick