From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:56:43
1 On 17 Jul 2007, at 12:01, Graham Murray wrote:
2
3 > <burlingk@×××××××××.mil> writes:
4 >
5 >> The four freedoms:
6 >> Freedom 0: The freedom to run a program for any purpose.
7 >> Freedom 1: To study the way a program works, and adapt it to your
8 >> needs.
9 >> Freedom 2: To redistribute copies so that you can help your
10 >> neighbors.
11 >> Freedom 3: Improve the program, and release your improvements to
12 >> the public, so that the whole community benefits.
13 >> For freedom 1 and 3 to work, the code must be open.
14 >>
15 >> Freedom 1 is just as important as the other three. Freedom one is
16 >> almost eliminated in GPLv3. Freedom One is the freedom that was
17 >> most whole heartedly expressed in the original manifesto.
18 >
19 > Just how does GPLv3 almost eliminate this?
20
21 It prevents vendors from (effectively) placing restrictions within
22 their software and running those restricted programs on the hardware
23 they sell us. Obviously this is a quite unreasonable imposition upon
24 the freedoms of those benign corporate entities. If you don't see how
25 unfair this is then you're clearly a subversive^w commie^w pinko^w
26 freedom-hating terrorist!!
27
28 Seriously, I can't understand people who disapprove of GPLv3. As
29 things stand with GPL v2 it would be quite easy (in the UK) to buy a
30 nice wireless ADSL modem-router as part of a sign-up package with
31 your ISP, suffer a year's poor service and decide to sign up with
32 another internet provider, only to find the the wireless router is
33 locked to the first ISP and is useless if you leave them. I can't
34 guess the number of wireless routers that have been thrown away and
35 ended up in landfill for this reason.
36
37 I believe that even Linus - who is noted for his long-standing
38 opposition to v3 - would change his mind were he to experience this.
39 "They're using the operating system _I_ wrote to lock me out of _my
40 own_ router?!?!?!?"
41
42 In the case I have in mind (the Wanadoo Livebox) the vendor uses
43 proprietary software code - which is only shipped as a binary as part
44 of the firmware - to deny use on other networks. A user can enter any
45 PPPoA username in the router's web-based interface but the pppd will
46 just refuse to work if that username doesn't match the naming
47 conventions used on Wanadoo's networks.
48
49 Although this particular code is not GPL, and would not come under
50 the provisions of the v3, the manufacturers have made a number of
51 other restrictions to prevent users modifying any part the firmware,
52 including the remaining 98% of the router's software that is OSS code
53 (the router runs a Linux 2.4 kernel and busybox). I remember working
54 on opening up this firmware a little and each time one of the
55 restrictions was overcome we would find the next version of the
56 firmware to be more secure (the new firmware is upgraded
57 automatically to unmodified routers).
58
59 At the time this particular router was released it was, IIRC, £80 to
60 purchase - about the same as other branded wireless ADSL routers, and
61 perhaps a day-and-a-half's wages for some people, a good chunk of
62 your weekly disposable income if you're on minimum wage. It was not
63 obvious in the sales pitch that it was network-locked to Wanadoo.
64 British Telecom lock their routers similarly. A big FUCK YOU to
65 anyone who thinks they should benefit from economies of manufacturing
66 scale and Free software with no regards the end users or to the
67 environmental and actual cost of replacing hardware which has been
68 rendered useless merely in aid of screwing the competition.
69
70 I believe that if you mass-produce a product and use other people's
71 GPL code in order to reduce your software development costs then you
72 have an ethical duty to allow purchasers of that product to modify
73 the code that runs on that hardware. You should provide reasonably
74 explicit instructions on how to do so, and at the very least not make
75 strides to hamper people from running software of their choosing on
76 the hardware they've bought. Manufacturers have demonstrated that
77 they don't see things this way and that they don't care how they
78 prevent their customers from fully enjoying the hardware they've
79 purchased. Clearly the rules need rewriting.
80
81 Stroller.
84 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list