From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To all IPv6-slackers among the Gentoo community
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 15:15:08
1 On 2019-11-26 15:41, Ralph Seichter wrote:
2 > * Daniel Frey:
3 >
4 >> Can't do anything, ipv6 is completely disabled (removed from kernel
5 >> config.)
6 >
7 > A search for "linux kernel enable ipv6" just returned more than 1.7
8 > million results.
9
10 Even if I recompile my custom kernels it won't work.
13 >> Current ISP will not issue any ipv6 if an ipv4 static is required.
14 >
15 > My current ISP offers native IPv6 and has been doing so for years.
16 > While choice varies across different countries, IPv6 availability has
17 > increased considerably over the last 10 years, which is why SiXXs.net
18 > has discontinued services[1] mid 2017. Even a small amount of searching
19 > should turn up a decent ISP in most industrialized countries.
20
21 That's great! Except I'm obviously not living where you are. I have
22 exactly one choice for an ISP and I need a static IP. The ISP disables
23 ipv6 for some reason when you have a static IP.
24
25 Housing is terribly expensive here and I'm not moving to get ipv6,
26 that's just stupid.
27
28 > Seriously, IPv4 may appear to work "just fine" for you, but there is a
29 > lot of nasty stuff like NAT going on under the hood. IPv6 means a lot
30 > less hassle if you have a decent ISP and a halfway modern router.
31
32 They do have ipv6 on residential accounts and their implementation has
33 caused many problems with devices. This was years ago. I would hope
34 they've fixed all the network delays that were present with a dual-stack
35 configuration - one of the major issues is that a single DNS lookup
36 would take 90 seconds to return a result. Only way to fix it was to
37 disable ipv6 in their router.
38
39 When you phoned in to report a problem, they'd say "looks good on our
40 end" and close the ticket. I disabled ipv6 that day, but when I got a
41 static IP I found out I couldn't get ipv6 anyway.
42
43 Dan