From: dg <dg@××××××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change Partition Type
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 19:33:06
1 On Friday 04 August 2006 01:35, Michael Crute wrote:
2 > On 8/3/06, dg <dg@××××××××××.ru> wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 03 August 2006 23:52, Michael Crute wrote:
4 > > > I have a laptop and when I initially setup the partitions I
5 > > > anticipated that I would install Windoze along side of Linux for
6 > > > gaming purposes, I now realize that this is never going to happen and
7 > > > would like to change the partition type from NTFS to Linux Native. Is
8 > > > it possible to do this without hurting the other partitions on the
9 > > > disk? I really can't afford to re-format/re-install the whole machine
10 > > > right now.
11 > > >
12 > > > The partition structure looks like this:
13 > > > hda1 -> NTFS (unformatted, want to convert over to Linux Native + ext3)
14 > > > hda2 -> Swap
15 > > > hda3 -> Linux Native (formatted ext3 with Gentoo installed)
16 > > >
17 > > > -Mike
18 > >
19 > > In addition to what others already suggested, it also would make sense to
20 > > actually change the partition type in the partition table:
21 > > fdisk /dev/hda
22 > > then press "t" and type partition number (1 in your case), then 83 (Linux
23 > > Native) when asked for partition type.
24 >
25 > Right, this is exactly what I want to do but can I do it without
26 > seriously screwing up the disk? i.e. can I change the partition type
27 > without screwing up the existing partitions?
28 >
29 > -Mike
30 >
31 > --
32 > ________________________________
33 > Michael E. Crute
34 > http://mike.crute.org
35 >
36 > I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended
37 > up where I intended to be. --Douglas Adams
38
39 Yes, you can change the partition type of /dev/hda1, it will not affect other
40 partitions on /dev/hda. Just set it to Linux Native using fdisk and then mkfs
41 it to ext3.
42
43 BR,
44 dmitri