From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A pared down kernel config
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 00:50:46
1 On Sonntag, 6. Januar 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > On Saturday 05 January 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
4 > >> > to de-junk a default config - even if you don't know what you do,
5 > >> > is in realm of half an hour to an hour. If you read everything.
6 > >>
7 > >> Do you have a de-junked .config that I can diff against the
8 > >> default.. it would be a way to see what kinds of things get dropped.
9 > >
10 > > Drivers for stuff you don't need and you will likely never use. Like ham
11 > > radio stuff, v4linux (first version), I20, on a notebook all the
12 > > enterprise-grade connect-a-machine-to-storage-stuff like iSCSI and
13 > > Infiniband, all of ISA and MCA and the pre-pci bus drivers, old disk
14 > > types like mfm and on modern boards usually even IDE as well.
15 >
16 > Thanks... but you hit on something there that can throw you.
17 > scsi stuff.
18
19 you need scsi for:
20 sata harddisk
21 sata cdroms
22 usb sticks
23 usb harddrives
24 usb cdroms (like in an external case)
25 usb card readers.
26
27 In fact, if you enable sata, scsi harddisk support is enabled automatically.
30 > I've never used a scsi hard drive in my life but not that long ago
31 > linux users needed scsi support for many of the cdrom drives.
32
33 no.
34 You never needed scsi for 'standard' atapi cdrom drives. Once upon a time you
35 needed scsi-ide emulation for burning and even that is gone.
36
37 > I doubt
38 > that is still the case but it might be. But my point is that even
39 > when you think you know something isn't needed it might be in some
40 > context you haven't thought of.
41
42 well, the scsi-usb relation is explained in the help texts.
45 > People in this thread speak of 2 and 3 boots and editing in between in
46 > the same message where `5 minutes' is mentioned. That doesn't wash.
47 > You're way past that time frame. But still not in the guiness book
48 > realm I guess... hehe.
49
50 since the kernel make system is smart, only the stuff that changed is redone.
51 So 3 reboots+2recompiles are easily done in 5minutes.
54 > Just to know more on this... Is there really any reason to worry about
55 > kernel size... I mean in most cases with a standard desktop install?
58 yes. Bigger kernel = more cpu cache used up = slower system.
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list