From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Backup device (sata hdd) best filesystem
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 04:17:49
1 I'm about to format 2 200gb sata drives and one 300gb ATA for use as
2 recipients of all backups. This will mostly consist of rsnapshot
3 created files. And a number of tar.gz and other compression type
4 files maybe some ISO type files etc.
5
6 I'm backing up two winxp video/sound editing machines 2 gentoo boxes
7 including my person main desktop and laptop and my wifes winxp home
8 box.
9
10 I guess one consideration would be what file system works well with
11 remote network backup tools like rsnaphot or bacula. All of ext2 ext3
12 and reiserfs seem to do about the same to me.
13
14 I've seen comments many times about the virtues of reiserfs and that
15 is currently what most of my desktop is (except ext2 boot). That is
16 new for me I always used ext2 then ext3 when it became common.
17
18 I've seen nothing remarkable using reiserfs but have no real idea of
19 what to expect and really NO idea what would make a good backup fs.
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list