From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to have fiber internet and need VPN info
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 20:45:39
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 4 August 2022 23:32:03 BST Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I also ordered a router that has openvpn installed on it. I watched
5 >> some videos and think I can set it up to keep my traffic out of public
6 >> view. After I learned more about it, there's no reason to not use the
7 >> VPN for all traffic really. That way I'm protected a little bit even if
8 >> a website is not secure.
9 > If by "not secure website" you mean an unencrypted connection to a web server,
10 > then such an insecure website remains insecure and so does your connection to
11 > it, whether the leg from your router to the VPN concentrator is encrypted or
12 > not.
13 >
14 > What kind of protection are you seeking - what is your threat model?
17 I'm mostly wanting it so people can't just look and see what I'm doing
18 or where I am, mostly my ISP.  I do a little torrenting and such too.
19 ;-)  That said, even if I go to my bank's website which is https, it
20 will also go through a VPN which also encrypts the traffic.  My bank is
21 secure as far as I know but having more protection added can't be a bad
22 thing.
23
24 I'm torn between torguard and surfshark.  I'm not sure where torguard is
25 located but surfshark is in the Netherlands I think.  Outside US
26 jurisdiction and from what I've read, they never give info to anyone
27 about their customers traffic.  I'm still researching torguard.  Maybe
28 someone here knows where they are located???
29
30 I have a add-on for one of my Firefox profiles that adds a free VPN but
31 it is slow since it is free.  I've been using it for a while for some
32 stuff.  So far, I haven't visited my bank or anything with it tho.  It
33 remembers my location and if it says I've moved to some other place, it
34 might freak out a bit.  I still have a bit to learn about VPN but some
35 things I'm not going into in public.
36
37 The biggest thing, the speed of my new internet is just awesome.
38 Downloading that Knoppix ISO that would normally take almost half a day
39 but on fiber took minutes, very few of those even, was just plain
40 awesome.  Used to, I waited on the internet, now it waits on me.  If I
41 were to upgrade to the really fast one, I'd likely fall out of my
42 chair.  :/
43
44 Dale
45