From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] about the vga clause on kernel line of grub.conf
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 22:58:18
1 For quite a long time I've been using things like:
2 vga=0x31A
3
4 On the kernel line in grub.conf
5
6 Its a hexidecimal system drawn info in this (partial) chart I found
7 somewhere in the kernel documentation long ago.
8
9 ## 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
10 ## 256 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307
11 ## 32k 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319
12 ## 64k 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A
13 ## 16M 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B
14
15 I've used kernel lines like below in grub.conf:
16 (asterisks added)
17 kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 ** vga=0x31b ** video=vesfb:mtrr:3,ywrap
18
19 For a very long time. (On occasion I've needed a smaller resolution
20 and used 0x317)
21
22 But on two recent installs of gentoo as vmware guests, that kind of
23 entry isn't doing any good and I'm still being prompted to make a
24 choice.
25
26 When I hit <enter> as directed a largish chart of what look to be
27 octal based settings, flashes by and only the last portion of it
28 remains visible.
29
30 It has choices like 340, 341 and many other three digit offerings from
31 a large chart that shows the resolutions you get with the 3 digit
32 choices.
33
34 I was unable to find this chart by grepping in the kerne//Documentation
35 directory.
36
37 Where does the boot process access that chart?
38
39 And why is it that the hex system is ignored and this other system
40 offered at boot?
41
42 I'm successfully using the hex system on my main gentoo machine... but on
43 the two recently installed gentoo vmware guests it doesn't work.
44
45 It may be relevant that these installs are console only... no X.