From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cron, bash, and java interacting badly?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:08:50
1 Walt Rarus writes:
2
3 > I have a java (clojure, actually) program which is invoked via a bash
4 > script. When the script is invoked from the shell, the java program
5 > always runs and succeeds. However, when the script is invoked via a
6 > cron job, the java program always runs and crashes with a null pointer
7 > exception.
8
9 Cron jobs have a limited environment. The $PATH is shorter, many
10 environment variables are not set. Maybe this is the cause?
11
12 > Any thoughts on how to debug the situation?
13
14 I would add "env > /tmp/myscript.env" to the top of the script, this puts
15 all environment variables and their values into /tmp/myscript.env. Compare
16 the outputs with diff, maybe you spot something which explains the
17 behaviour.
18
19 Maybe you can replace the call to the script in your crontab with
20 something like "bash -il /path/to/myscript", forcing it to run in an
21 interactive login shell. I have not tried this, though, it's just an idea.
22
23 Wonko