From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:28:47
1 On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 10:26:02AM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 01/02/2012 10:05 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > >
4 > > So when the user tells portage to emerge (not merge) something it goes
5 > > in world as obviously that's what the user wanted. Presumably the user
6 > > knows what they are doing and can deal with both pieces. If the user
7 > > would rather have software hold his hand, that user is better served by
8 > > Windows or Ubuntu or any number of user-centric distros, but probably
9 > > not by Gentoo.
10 > >
11 > > This isn't elitist, it's just the way things are. Portage's job is to
12 > > listen to *you*, not to to tell you what you want. The automation
13 > > portage provides is just the logical conclusion of what should happen
14 > > in future after you emerged something.
17 > That unspoken agreement is only beneficial if I have the means by which
18 > to tell portage what I want it to do. The problem lies at a higher
19 > level: I think I'm telling portage to update a package, but that's not
20 > what --update means. It's hard for me to tell portage what I want it to
21 > do, so the fact that it assumes I know what I'm doing isn't constructive.
22
23 Look at it this way:
24 with emerge <package> you tell portage to install a package and add it to
25 world. Period. The package will be installed, no matter whether it’s at the
26 newest version or not. With -u, however, you tell emerge to only do the
27 installation if the package is actually upgradable. So it’s not an action
28 (“upgrade this package”), but an option (“install only if upgradable”).
29 --
30 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
31 I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.
32
33 The bad thing about Wikipedia jokes is
34 - Deleted due to lack of relevance. -