From: staticsafe <me@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sendmail: warning: inet_protocols: disabling IPv6
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 00:22:05
1 On 6/25/2013 18:31, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 07:48:12AM +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote
3 >> On Tue, June 18, 2013 17:00, Joseph wrote:
4 >>> Every time I compile a package I get a message:
5 >>>
6 >>> sendmail: warning: inet_protocols: disabling IPv6 name/address support:
7 >>> Address family not supported by protocol
8 >>>
9 >>> What is it looking for?
10 >>
11 >> Do you have IPV6 enabled in your kernel and for the network interfaces?
12 >> Simple and quick way to check, do you see IPV6-addresses when you type
13 >> "ifconfig -a" in a console?
14 >>
15 >> I get this warning for all services that have IPV6 support on systems that
16 >> don't have IPV6 enabled.
17 >
18 > A few years ago the developers, "in their infinite wisdom", decided to
19 > enable the ipv6 USE flag by default. I found out "the hard way", when
20 > internet-enabled apps like Firefox sat there, spinning their wheels for
21 > a minute, before timing out the IPV6 lookup and falling back to IPV4.
22 > Since then, I have always done a --pretend update run and check the
23 > output, before doing the real update. And I've switched to beginning my
24 > USE variable with "-*".
25 >
26 > There is the option of setting USE="-ipv6" the more timid users. I
27 > don't understand the point of defaulting to IPV6. The vast majority of
28 > Gentoo users probably still run IPV4-only.
31 FYI, this is no longer an issue as br
34 staticsafe
35 O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org
36 Please don't top post - http://goo.gl/YrmAb
37 Don't CC me! I'm subscribed to whatever list I just posted on.