From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Traffic shaping - downstream data
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:07:18
1 On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Datty <datty.wtb@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Jun 12, 2012 8:59 AM, "Datty" <datty.wtb@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > [snip]
7 >
8 >>> More detail later...but make sure your vpn link is not TCP. UDP, fine,
9 >>> IP-IP, fine, but not TCP. TCP transport for a VPN tunnel leads to ugly
10 >>> traffic problems.
11 >
12 >> Ah it is TCP at the moment. Not something I could change too easily either.
13 >> Is it possible to work around or is it not worth fighting with?
14 >
15 > If all of these cases are true:
16 >
17 > * You only have TCP traffic going over that VPN
18 > * You don't have any latency-sensitive traffic going over that VPN (no
19 > VOIP, no interactive terminal sessions and you won't pull your hair
20 > out over 10s or more round-trips slowing down page loads)
21 > * You don't have large bulk data transfers going over that VPN (my
22 > best example of personal experience here was trying to locally sync my
23 > work-related IMAP mailbox)
24 >
25 > ...then it's not worth fighting with.
26
27 I could stand to be more precise and concise:
28 If you're going to use a TCP transport for VPN:
29 * You need to not mix TCP and UDP traffic
30 * You need to not have latency-sensitive traffic.
31
32 In practice, you'll almost always have some UDP traffic; that's how
33 DNS generally operates. And even where DNS uses TCP, it's still
34 latency-sensitive.
35
36 So I can be even more concise:
37 If you're going to use a TCP transport for VPN, you must avoid having
38 TCP traffic over that VPN link.
41 :wq