From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Update to /etc/sudoers disables wheel users!!!
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 22:44:48
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2022-10-26, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> If you use an x11-based merge tool then it will also refuse to attempt
5 >>> an automatic
6 >>> merge if X11 isn't available. (Obviously you can't actually run the
7 >>> manual merge if the tool uses X11 and that isn't available.)
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >> I'd like to try a GUI based tool.  Is that what you talking about?  If
11 >> so, name or what package has it?
12 > At one point, I had one of my systems configured to use "meld" when I
13 > picked "interactive merge" in the etc-update menu, but I've since gone
14 > back to just picking "show differences" in the etc-update menu, then
15 > manually running merge on the two filenames shown. With the
16 > interactive merge option, I was always a bit confused about which file
17 > was the destination and what happened after I exited meld.
18 >
19 > --
20 > Grant
21
22 I've tried etc-update and dispatch-conf and I can't figure out either
23 one of them when it comes to merging.  I'd like a GUI tool where I can
24 click the one I want to keep with my rodent and then save.  Like you, I
25 get confused trying to select things and then have no idea if I'm about
26 to royally screw something up.  I end up doing a ctrl c, restarting
27 update tool and zapping the new file and praying that didn't break
28 anything either.
29
30 I have the default settings so there may be a better way but I just
31 don't know what.  I sometimes wish there was a video showing different
32 methods of managing config files and me picking what makes sense to me.
33
34 I might add, a good while back I started doing updates in a chroot and
35 then using -k on my main system.  Since then, I don't see config updates
36 hardly at all.  I wonder if building in a chroot affects that.
37
38 Dale
39