From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 18:22:36
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 11/11/2022 08:25, Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I been stuck on gentoo-sources 5.14.15 for a while.  I tried upgrading
6 >> to I think 5.16 and then more recently 5.18.
7 > If you've been using 5.14 until now, it would appear to me you're the
8 > target audience of the LTS kernels. 5.15 is the latest LTS kernel.
9 > Those kernels are maintained with bugfixes and backports for at least
10 > 2 years.
11 >
12 > The next LTS will probably be 6.1, so if you update to that, stick to
13 > it for the next 2 years and then update to whatever is the latest LTS
14 > then.
20 I don't target LTS, I just rarely reboot.  My system runs 24/7.  I watch
21 TV from it plus do all the other things, check emails, look for info,
22 buy things etc etc.  Usually, I reboot when I lose power for more than a
23 couple minutes.  Where I live, if the power fails for more than 30
24 seconds or so, it's gonna be out longer than my UPS will last.  My UPS
25 mostly is to protect from those short blinks etc.  Anyway.  Recently, I
26 been shutting down when I move hard drives physically.  I put in a new
27 drive, get it set up, transfer data and such.  Once that is done, I
28 shutdown and physically move the drive to its permanent location.
29 Lately, I'm having to use 5 1/4" spots and a adapter.  I'm out of 3.5"
30 spots.
31
32 Where does one go for a list of the LTS kernels?  Since I reboot so
33 rarely, what not use one of them??  Of course, the kernel I have in use
34 now has long uptimes so it is sort of LTS for this rig anyway.  ;-)
35
36 Dale
37