From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A little light relief from endless problems
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 11:57:58
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > As it's Sunday, here's an odd little thing.
3 >
4 > Not long ago, while booting this machine, four ext3 partitions needed checks
5 > on remount count reaching zero. They had been set to 23, 24, 25 and 26
6 > mounts. (I didn't choose the numbers; they were allocated at the time I was
7 > creating the file system.)
8 >
9 > Now, this box does get rebooted, but hardly 23 x 24 x 25 x 26 = 358,800
10 > times all told. At, say, two reboots per day, that would take rather a long
11 > time: a little under 500 years if my arithmetic is working.
12
13 I think you're confused. 23 means a check each 23 mounts. With 2
14 mounts per day, that's a check every 12 days for the first and second disk.
15
16 Also, except mount count, there's also a time-based check. The check
17 happens whichever of the two expires first (otherwise, a system that
18 gets rebooted once each two months or such would get checked in a timely
19 manner.)