From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Don't miss the 1 500 000 000 Unix second!
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 08:50:11
Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:

> Well, the return type for time() changed from "int" (or was it long?) > to "time_t" many years back. That said, the actual underlying > representation has never changed on 32-bit Linux systems. Posix > requires it to be signed, and on 32-bit Linux systems, it's still > going to overflow in 2038 -- same as it ever was.
time() did always return a long, in special since it counts only in seconds. Unfortunately Tru64 from DEC changed that to an int and Linux copied the bug. FreeBSD was going to make the same mistake, but I warned them and they delayed their 64bit kernel until they had tested everything well enough. Jörg -- EMail:joerg@××××××.net (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin joerg.schilling@××××××××××××××××.de (work) Blog: URL:'