From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] And thus the emerge spake...
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 09:37:07
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> [16-04-17 11:08]:
2 > On 17/04/2016 05:45, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > ...and the novice was buffled and even the master shifted a little bit
7 > > after recognizing this words of the eternal being named emerge.
8 > > I know, that there is a difference in knowing the path and walking the
9 > > path, but it seems that I am not supposed to understand this:
12 > > These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
13 > >
14 > > Calculating dependencies... done!
15 > >
16 > > Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB
17 > >
18 > > WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:
19 > >
20 > > dev-util/boost-build:0
21 > >
22 > > (dev-util/boost-build-1.60.0:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
23 > > =dev-util/boost-build-1.58* required by (dev-libs/boost-1.58.0-r1:0/1.58.0::gentoo, installed)
24 > > ^ ^^^^^
27 > > !!! The following update has been skipped due to unsatisfied dependencies:
28 > >
29 > > dev-libs/boost:0
30 > >
31 > > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=dev-util/boost-build-1.60*" have been masked.
32 > > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
33 > > - dev-util/boost-build-1.60.0::gentoo (masked by: )
36 > > For me it looks like boost not beeing updated/reinstalled because of
37 > > another version of boost, which depends on boost.
38 > >
39 > > HELP, I need somebody, HELP, not just anybody hee-eee-eelp uuuuuhhhh!
40 > >
41 > > Thanks for any HELP in advance! May the source be with you...
42 > > Best regards,
43 > > Meino
49 > Hah! That's one of those blockers that makes little or no sense.
52 > boost has this dep:
53 >
54 > DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
55 > =dev-util/boost-build-${MAJOR_V}*"
56 >
57 > and boost-build does not depend on boost.
58 >
59 > So, logically you'd expect boost to want to upgrade to 1.60, notice
60 > boost-build's dep and upgrade boost-build as well to match. But it
61 > doesn't, because boost-build-1.60 is masked for <null> reason.
62 >
63 > It really looks and smells like a bug in emerge[1] when updating world
64 > where it considers boost-build first, fixes the version to use to match
65 > current boost, and then can't find a way to upgrade boost.
66 >
67 > Solution would seem to be to emerge -C either of them and let portage
68 > get on with it. Or upgrade just upgrade boost-build by itself then do world
71 > [1] I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "bug" as such, because nothing
72 > in the spec requires a package manager to guarantee that it will always
73 > find the best way to upgrade everything. It only needs to keep the
74 > system consistent with the ebuilds it has.
75 >
76 > --
77 > Alan McKinnon
78 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
82 Hi Alan,
83
84 thanks for your reply! :)
85
86 ...and I thought it was me being too limited to see the real truth
87 behind that what it is The Matrix.
88
89 But it was only a deja-vu....oh wait! It was NO deja-vu ... no
90 glitch in The Matrix...we had similiar emerge-ncies in the past. ;)
91
92 I will see how far I can go...I was warned to use 060 of boost...
93
94 Best regards,
95 Meino