From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo as a production server - insecure?
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 19:01:10
1 On Monday 16 February 2009, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 15:51:11 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
3 > > If the rub is really the gcc compiler, then do not have it installed;
4 > > activate a remote partition with any such tools as gcc, coreutils
5 > > and use them for admin things. Then unmount these (NFS or such)
6 > > necessary system tools, when your not actively using them.
7 >
8 > Or don't install them at all. Put all the toolchain packages
9 > in /etc/portage/profile/package.provided or create a custom profile
10 > without a toolchain in @system. Then build the packages on another
11 > computer. If this is a production server, you'd want to test things
12 > before installing on the live server, so build everything on the test
13 > box and install on the server with emerge -K.
14
15 Is there an article on the wiki for doing this? I have often thought about
16 it, but never went as far as trying to do it. I was even looking at GNAP to
17 see if that would be an alternative to building (remotely) a server.
18 --
19 Regards,
20 Mick