From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is this a bug in firefox-36.0?
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 03:54:44
1 On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 4:49:54 PM walt wrote:
2 > I get a certificate verification error when visiting https://www.att.com
3 > using firefox-36.0, but not when using chrome-41.0.2272.76.
4 >
5 > Anyone else see the same with firefox-36?
6 >
7 > BTW, I tried the latest firefox in a Win7 virtual machine and I was
8 > shocked to see that firefox was updating itself when I was logged in
9 > as an unprivileged user (i.e. *not* an Administrator). Are the idiots
10 > at M$ *really* that stupid? They've learned nothing, apparently, since
11 > Win 95 :(
12 >
13 > BTW, the Win7 firefox also flagged an error when visiting the web site
14 > I mentioned above, but the error was displayed so subtly that I would
15 > have missed it if I hadn't been looking for it specifically. Very bad
16 > behavior.
19 Technically the issue is with att's SSL certificate. It may be that they got a
20 cheap certificate (meaning it's provides encryption but the CA did not verificy
21 that ATT is a legit company) or it may be an issue with the certificate.
22
23 It doesn't give any warning for me, it just shows an exclamation next to the
24 address and the latest chromium does the same (it shows a triangle) and it
25 gives you more info: "The identity of this website has been verified by Verizon
26 Akamai SureSever CA G14-SHA1 but does not have public audit records."
27
28 If you're concerned about it contact AT&T and let them know.
32 Fernando Rodriguez