From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: QOS
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:46:19
1 A. Khattri <ajai <at> bway.net> writes:
2
3 > > Are there people on the list who are using QOS, i need it to preserve
4 > > 4MB for IP telephonie on a 100Mbit line.
5
6 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Packet_Shaping
7
8 Hey, this looks very cool. Have you implemented this with success?
9 HTB (Hierarchial Token Buckets) are new to 2.6 and very, very cool.
10
11 Have you extended this over a wide area network, or across 2 networks
12 connected by a VPN?
13
14 My need is to use something like this over a wide area Frame Relay
15 network, full of cisco and other routers. No Internet connections,
16 but lots of diffent machine generated traffic to manage.
17 Is this transparent to the cisco and other router configurations
18 in a WAN deployment, or are there modifications I need to make to
19 the cisco router configs to get this working over a private,
20 frame relay cloud?
21
22 I guess in my case it may be easier to run internal router cards,
23 use something like this for QOS for the applications communicating
24 across the frame relay cloud. I have a sangoma card so I could
25 test this on a tail circuit. What do you use to visualize the
26 diffent types data traffic? MRTG? JFFNMS? CACTI?
27
28 Comments and ideas are most welcome.
29
30 James