From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: synchronizing 2 portables
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:20:29
1 On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:20:10 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > Yes, OK. I want to play with this manually for a few weeks, then I'll
4 > use buildpkg and PGKDIR. One last qustion. If the USE settings are
5 > identical and the CFLAGS are similar between an AMD and Intel, can I
6 > use the approach with one system being Intel and the other being AMD:
7 >
8 > AMD
9 > CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
10 >
11 > Intel
12 > CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe "
13 >
14 > This will work too?
15
16 You wouldn't be able to use -march like this with two different cpus,
17 you'd have to set it to something compatible with both, say i686. That's
18 why I said "provided your USE and CFLAGS are the same" in my original
19 post.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.