From: matthew.garman@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] mysterious segfaults
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 13:34:19
1 Recently, programs on my computer have been victims of abrupt
2 segfaults.
3
4 For example, yesterday, I tried to start firefox, and before it even
5 displayed its window, it died with a segfault.
6
7 Even portage was a victim of this: trying to emerge anything, or
8 even do an "emerge search" resulted in an almost instant segfault.
9
10 The weird thing is, after waiting a while (say two or three hours),
11 the problem went away---everything just started working.
12
13 Last night, my email client, mutt, suddenly started having this
14 problem: I could use it, up until switching to the "gentoo-user"
15 folder, when it would crash with a segmentation fault. X was hung,
16 so I rebooted. Now I can get into my gentoo-user folder... but for
17 how long?
18
19 All of my system partitions (/, /usr, /var, /tmp) reside on an ext3
20 filesystem; I ran e2fsck on all partitions. I've also run "smartctl
21 -t long" on the disk---no problems reported. So I don't think my
22 hard drive is dying.
23
24 Anyone else ever experience anything like this? Anyone have any
25 thoughts as to what the problem might be?
26
27 Thanks!
28 Matt
31 Matt Garman