From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 12:04:44
1 Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > Slight hiccup here:
4 >
5 > root@smoker / # reiserfstune -l root /dev/hda6
6 > reiserfstune: Reiserfstune is not allowed to be run on mounted
7 > filesystem.
8 > root@smoker / #
9 >
10 > So, I have to do this from a CD/DVD. Well, once done, it is done.
11 >
12 > Dale
13 >
14 > :-) :-)
15 >
16
17 Another hiccup for the record. When you add/change a label, you have to
18 reboot for it to take effect. At least that was what I did anyway. The
19 labels didn't show up until I rebooted. Sort of funny in a way. I have
20 changed partition layouts before and them take effect without a reboot.
21 Maybe I should have restarted udev?
22
23 Also, I first booted a Gentoo 10.1 DVD and all the drives showed up as
24 sd**. I didn't see a hd* in the list anywhere. So, if you are not SURE
25 what each drive will be, boot something that doesn't use the PATA
26 drivers. For me, I booted a old Gentoo 2006.1 CD. That listed both
27 hd** and my sda drive. I didn't try my Knoppix disc tho. I'm not sure
28 what drivers it uses.
29
30 Now to figure out how far off the deep end I want to go with editing
31 fstab. Going to read some replies here and a man page or two. ;-) The
32 way I figure it, once I edit fstab and get it to boot correctly, it
33 shouldn't matter whether the drives use IDE or PATA drivers. Then I can
34 work on the kernel next.
35
36 Dale
37
39
40 P. S. Any way to label swap? It's not reiserfs or ext*.