From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 21:13:21
1 David W Noon wrote:
2 > That's easy: if you know you are going to reinstall after deleting,
3 > just take a backup copy of those files you have modified, which is
4 > usually only the one configuration file. After the reinstallation,
5 > restore from your backup.
6 >
7 > Alternatively, you can switch the suggested option to "off", either on
8 > the command line or in /etc/make.conf.
9 >
10 > This is a fairly rare occurrence, and it should be planned -- including
11 > the making of a backup.
14 For me, wanting the config files removed is what is so very rare. As to
15 the backups, I make backups but not before every time I emerge/unmerge
16 something. Requiring users to do all that is worse than just deleting
17 the config files manually.
18
19 Dale
20