From: ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1980@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hplip recompiled with scanner use flag now scanning works, printing does not.
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 00:30:26
1 Daniel,
2
3 After a bit of messing around I have the following:
4
5 In my home directory I can write to a 0664 file which is in the scanner
6 group
7 I can write to a file with the same permissions in /dev/bus/usb/005,
8 however it does not have the c prefix in the stickybits like the device
9 files do.
10 I am definitely in the scanner group
11 I am definitely in the lp group
12 I cannot print when /dev/bus/usb/005/005 is in the scanner group
13 I can print when /dev/bus/usb/005/005 is in the lp group.
14 I can print when /dev/bus/usb/005/005 is set to chmod a+rwx
15
16 Confounding I know...by me being in the scanner group, I would have
17 thought this would allow me to write to the device if its sticky bits
18 are set to 0664. This is however not the case. This makes me think
19 that any edit to /etc/udev/rules.d/xx-libsane.rules is simply a
20 workaround. I am thinking the bug is in HPLIP.
21
22 Thanks
23
24 ubiquitous1980