From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] ESD vs ALSA
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 01:46:33
1 I've been using Linux for 6 or 8 years -- without speakers. Today I
2 decided to take a trip on the wild side and install speakers. It has
3 been interesting.
4
5 I've been using /usr/bin/gnome-sound-properties (started from Gnome
6 start button via system//preferences/sound (from nu) to test my
7 configuration. From the Sounds tab, all the System Sounds work
8 perfectly. However the Devices tab works fine when ESD (Enlightenment
9 Sound Daemon) is selected and doesn't work at all when "ALSA" is
10 selected. In this case, "doesn't work" means the following dialog is
11 displayed:
12
13 audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512!
14 audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink:
15 Could not open resource for writing.
16
17 Any tips on what I should check?
18
19 Question 2: Is either ESD or ALSA to be preferred? Why?
22 Regards,
23
24 David
25 --