From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New xorg.conf with x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r5
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 21:47:15
1 On Sonntag 17 Mai 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 17 May 2009 03:33:22 pk wrote:
3 > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > > As I see it, at the bottom of the stack you have a kernel and at the
5 > > > top a user space app (the X server will do for an example). Plug in a
6 > > > USB device that the app can use, and the kernel needs to make a node in
7 > > > /dev for it if it's not already there. The kernel should not be
8 > > > interrogating the device for all possible info - that is expensive -
9 > > > and doesn't need to. It only needs enough info to know what driver,
10 > > > major and minor numbers to use. X OTOH, can
11 > >
12 > > I couldn't agree more. And this is what Udev, as a user space app, does.
13 > > The only thing it doesn't handle is communicating with other user space
14 > > apps; this is currently Hals job.
15 > >
16 > > > the current model uses udev as the interface to the kernel's nodes and
17 > > > HAL as the interface to exactly what hardware you have. Seems pretty
18 > > > sane for the most usual use case. At some point in the stack you will
19 > > > need the OS-dependant part, my guess is the best place is between hal
20 > > > and udev. Only Linux uses
21 > >
22 > > Well, as I understand it this is what it looks like today:
23 > >
24 > > kernel <-> udev (or equivalent for non-linux kernel/OS) <-> hal <-> dbus
25 > > <-> user apps
26 > >
27 > > To me that seems a bit redundant...
28 >
29 > No, there's nothing redundant in that. udev talks kernel-speak, hal talks
30 > userspace-speak. Hal could be distro-agnostic, udev can't be (not in a sane
31 > environment) and dbus is simply a transport layer for messages. That's five
32 > different functions going on, and none of them logically belong with any
33 > other in the same layer.
34 >
35 > > What I would like to see:
36 > >
37 > > kernel <-> udev <-> user apps
38 >
39 > Then X must talk to udev directly. Two problems:
40 >
41 > - only Linux has udev. Other OSes may not need, want or be willing to touch
42 > udev with a bargepole.
43 > - X is multi-platform. Good luck getting Keith to agree to make it
44 > essentially Linux only :-)
45
46 which is not a problem at all. udev only creates device nodes. There is no
47 need to 'talk udev' or do special crap for udev.
50 > > Yes, but if the developers could agree on a common API for the udev
51 > > daemon and it's equivalents on other platforms (what does BSD use?)...
52
53 and there already is one. It is called '/dev'