From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo 32bit->64bit: How?
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 17:28:34
1 Hi,
2
3 My box is a working and fully configured Gentoo system, which is
4 uptodate.
5
6 For the sake of being able to address more RAM and for more
7 calculation power (mainly for rendering purposes) I want to
8 migrate to 64bit.
9
10 I googled for some tutorial but found nothing appropiate (one post
11 asked for the downtime to be expected while migrating a server --
12 something which not applies to me...).
13
14 My questions are:
15 1) Is there a performance gain, when migrating to 64bit if the
16 target applications supports 64bit?
17 2) Is it possible - if( true ){ how(); } - to """simply"""
18 "convert" a 32bit system to 64 bit.
19 "Simply" in my case means: Simpler ways than starting right
20 from the bare metal of a virgin harddisk and doing the same
21 stuff I did for the current system again... ;)
22 3) Is there some tutorial, which show me the path to go?
23
24 Thank you very much in advance for any help!
25
26 Best regards,
27 mcc