From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My Gentoo and Windows don't get along on vfat
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 13:34:57
1 On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 01:43:24PM +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > > Naturally, I always unmount the drive prior to removing it physically,
4 > > usually with KDE’s media manager. The drive (or the controller in the case?)
5 > > contains a cdrom emulation to offer drivers and something called “WD
6 > > SmartWare”. *shiver* I always wonder whether this plays a part with our
7 > > problems. When the drive is connected to Windows – IIRC – first the cdrom
8 > > appears, and after a while disappears and makes way for the actual data
9 > > partition.
10 >
11 > aargh...
12 > I stopped using those WD drives, if you want to disable that part, follow
13 > instructions on the WD support page:
14 > https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=3835
15 > (If this works)
16 >
17 > > Do you have similar experiences and maybe even a tip on how to make her and
18 > > my systems play along better? The only thing coming to my mind right now is
19 > > to ditch fat32 and go with something more robust like exfat(?) or ntfs.
20 > […]
21 > My guess is, you unmount the cd-partition, instead of the actual data
22 > partition. The broken firmware in those drives cause issues with the
23 > drivers, which is what that "cdrom" partition actually tries to fix.
24
25 Well I can’t say for sure what I did yesterday, but usually I try to make
26 quite sure to Do the Right Thing™ (usually I go through both partition
27 entries in the media panel and try to unmount them) to avoid exactly what
28 had happened.
29
30 > Best advice: Scrap that drive and get one without the cdrom-partition.
31
32 Well the disk itself works alright, smart is clean and the long self-test
33 came back with no problems. So I guess that’s not really an option. :o)
34 An extended smart self-test just came back with 100 % A-OK.
35 I’ll suggest to her to disable SmartWare.
38 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
39 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
40
41 Kids in the back seat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseat cause kids.