From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange network behaviour: NIC goes down, DHCP lease renewal fails
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 07:24:08
1 On Thursday 05 Mar 2015 21:46:12 Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > Am Thu, 5 Mar 2015 21:19:46 +0000
3 > schrieb Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
4 > > On Thursday 05 Mar 2015 18:33:23 Todd Goodman wrote:
5
6 > > > Is this a WiFi NIC?
7 > > >
8 > > > Is it possible the device is powering down?
9 > > >
10 > > > I've had lots of problems with WiFi devices powering down (both driver
11 > > > issues as well as just trying to disable the default setting of
12 > > > powering down.)
13 > > >
14 > > > Todd
15 > >
16 > > If not a WiFi, have you also tried to mirror a port at the router where
17 > > the DHCP server is running and sniff packets there? Does the router see
18 > > the DHCPREQ coming through from the client PCs?
19 >
20 > They apparently don't even reach the managed switch, which is what the PC
21 > is directly connected to (but again: the third affected PC is on a
22 > different switch). I find this very confusing :-/ (and so does our local
23 > sysadmin, or so I'm told).
24 >
25 > (I have to mention that the best I can do is relay ideas here to my boss
26 > and the aforementioned sysadmin, as I don't have access to any of the
27 > network hardware and software, save for the affected PCs. I am mostly
28 > trying to collect ideas.)
29
30 If the router does not see the dhcp request frames coming from the PCs then
31 the problem won't be with the router. Check that the NIC on the affected PCs
32 is not trying to save power by shutting down, whether this is wired or
33 wireless. As Alan said you'll need to pass some driver parameter to the NIC,
34 I usually do this via the /etc/conf.d/modules file, or by adding a .conf file
35 in /etc/modprobe.d/
36
37 Besides the latest drivers, also check that you are using the latest firmware
38 for the NIC if it uses any and check the logs after increasing verbosity on
39 the driver to make sure it loads without errors.
42 Regards,
43 Mick