From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GCC 5.4.0
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 13:27:12
1 On Sonntag, 23. April 2017 07:45:49 CEST Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I've been following the thread re GCC 5.4.0 & after 'eix-sync' installed it.
3 > There's a news item warning that there's a new ABI
4 > & it mb necessary to run 'revdep-rebuild' if it fails with a linking error.
5
6 While it does read like that, I would think that it's safer to just do the
7 revdep-rebuild.
8
9 > The first pkg I tried to compile with 5.4.0 indeed failed at that point,
10 > so I followed the advice & ran
11 > 'revdep-rebuild --library 'llibstdc++.so.6' -- --exclude gcc'.
12 > It wanted to rebuild 223 pkgs & stalled with an unfound ebuild.
13 >
14 > I went back to GCC 4.9.3 & the pkg merged without any problem.
15 >
16 > What are other users' experiences using GCC 5.4.0 ?
17
18 I followed the instructions and everything went fine, albeit it took about 2
19 days on my desktop just for the revdep-rebuild. I had a few build failures,
20 but almost all of them were from packages in the proaudio and my personal
21 overlay. The only package from the main Gentoo tree that failed was
22 libsidplay, but that was due to a bash/dash compatibility problem that causes
23 the configure step to produce broken Makefiles. *double checks* No, sorry, on
24 my desktop the following also failed to build:
25 - games-emulation/nestopia,
26 - games-emulation/mupen64plus,
27 - media-sound/ams
28 - media-sound/seq24,
29
30 For the first two, I wouldn't be surprised if their ~arch versions work. The
31 latter two are probably unmaintained upstream and need to be patched.
32
33 HTH
34 --
35 Marc Joliet
36 --
37 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
38 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup