From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] filesystems
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 11:31:02
1 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto schrieb:
2 > On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Florian Philipp
3 > <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
4 >>> As for my photos, I can back all the collection to a single DVD (and
5 >>> to a second one, since I keep hearing that DVD-Rs are unreliable), and
6 >>> since I don't take new photos every week, this solution is fine.
7 >>>
8 >> A second DVD-R won't solve the problem because optical disks degrade over
9 >> time and the second one will degrade just as fast as the first. What you
10 >> need to do is to check the disks periodically (once a year is a good time
11 >> frame).
12 > I know DVD-Rs degrade, but it is unlikely they would fail at the same
13 > time, so copying twice does significantly alleviate the problem
14 > (AFAIK)
15
16 I'm not so sure in this regard. If we were talking about HDDs you were
17 right: it is very unlikely for two of them to fail at the same time due
18 to mechanical defects. But we are talking about optical media. They fail
19 because of chemical reactions. That's why two disks, stored equally,
20 bought at the same time from the same trader, produced by the same
21 company, should degrade equally fast and therefore fail at about the
22 same time. And since you want to check them less than once a year, "at
23 about the same time" means within the same year.
26 > Once a year isn't overkill? Isn't once every two years fine?
29 I'm not sure. I myself wouldn't trust normal CD/DVD-Rs for more than
30 three years and CD/DVD-RWs for more than one year (cheap RWs degrade
31 much faster than Rs).
32
33 Additionally, having such long intervals between checks makes it easier
34 to forget them completely. Can you remember whether you checked your
35 disks last year or the year before? I know I couldn't.
36
37 > Sure. I am doing that since some time now. Unfortunately I didn't do
38 > so for some old backups. But data DVD-Rs have a considerable amount of
39 > correction code, and if the copy from DVD to hard disk proceeds
40 > without a single error message, there is a quite good chance that the
41 > files are good, right?
42
43 I would think so.