From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1/2 OT: What Linux could learn from mainframes ?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:19:30
1 On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 16:03 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
5 > after reading several articles about Mainframes and similar archs
6 > (even ancient ones like B7000), I wonder if Linux world could
7 > learn something from there.
8 >
9 > One very interesting point (IMHO) is the storage abstraction.
10 > AFAIK, Mainframes work on one large virtual memory (disks for
11 > swapping out RAM, tapes for swapping out disks, etc).
12 > This way you just allocate some piece of space (like some virtual
13 > partition) to an application (of guest). If you need more space,
14 > just plug in more disks and the OS will handle all this automatically.
15 >
16 > I'm currently planning to implement an similar approach for Linux
17 > (at least virtual block devices).
18 >
19 > What do you think about this ?
20
21 I am not certain this is the true for mainframes, at least not all of
22 them. But interestingly enough the Unununium project had a similar
23 philosophy, basically L1/2 cache, RAM, and disk were essentially the
24 same things, though with different price/performance ratios, and that
25 each should be indistinguishable for the user.
26
27 Personally I don't think that level of abstraction provides any great
28 benefit for the user, though from a strictly technical standpoint it is
29 at least interesting.
30
31 If you are speaking strictly of hot-pluggable memory/storage then Linux
32 has this already (if the hardware supports it), and at least Xen gives a
33 similar "mainframe" type feeling for allocating/deallocating
34 storage/memory for guests on-the-fly.
35
36 -a
40 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list