From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Full disk encryption
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 16:43:28
1 On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM, David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 19:39:11 -0500, Michael Mol wrote about "Re:
3 > [gentoo-user] Re: Full disk encryption":
4 >
5 > [snip]
6 >>Stupid question...Would using LZMA and a tarball reduce the size of
7 >>your initeamfs?
8 >
9 > Not really.  I am already using gzip -9, and binaries don't compress
10 > especially well.  Moreover, the archiver *must* be cpio, not tar.
11
12 I don't understand initrd that well, but I understand you run an
13 init-type script inside it.
14
15 My thought was:
16 1) Include enough in your cpio blob to extract a .tar.xz file. Even
17 better if you can use a self-extracting, statically-linked LZMAball.
18 2) launch a second-stage init sequence from the subsequently-extracted data.
19
20 Large groups of binaries can compress pretty well, but, obviously, it
21 depends greatly on the data in question.
22
23 Also, wasn't there an ELF-specific compressor making the rounds a few
24 months ago? And I take it there are no existing tools to take a
25 dynamically-linked binary, pack in all the pulled-in files, rewrite
26 symbol tables to include only the symbols used, pull the thing all
27 into a single now-statically-linked binary, and perform something like
28 COMDAT folding to remove duplicate functions? It would seem possible,
29 at least.
32 :wq