From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Curious about order that emerge -u builds/installs
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 17:12:00
1 On Wed, Jun 02, 2021 at 03:22:58PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote
2 > I've noticed something surprising (to me) about the order that 'emerge -auvND world'
3 > decides to install/upgrade/reinstall packages. The situation is as follows:
4 >
5 > * A large number of packages need to be build/installed/reinstalled
6 > * Hit control-C during the build of package X
7 > * Restart 'emerge -auvND world'
8 >
9 > I expect that it will start by building package X and resume with the
10 > remainder of the packages in the same order as before. Often it does
11 > not. The order of package bilds often seems to be quite different
12 > after the interruption than it was the first time -- often X is a fair
13 > ways down the list.
14 >
15 > Why is that?
16
17 See the "Emerge order not deterministic !?" thread from way back in 2015.
18 https://linux.gentoo.user.narkive.com/YlGA5QBQ/gentoo-user-emerge-order-not-deterministic
19 I remember it, because I was the OP on that thread. Basically, if there
20 isn't a dependancy requirement between two packages, there's no
21 guarantee which one gets emerged first.
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications