From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console scrollback
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 16:00:46
1 Hello, Neil.
2
3 On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 18:44:15 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 18:14:39 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > > I see that the kernel code to scroll the console has been stripped out
7 > > > [1].
8
9 > > This is appalling. I do all my work on the console (apart from web
10 > > browsing), and with this development, Linux effectively becomes unusable
11 > > to me. I will NOT be bullied into using second rate alternatives like
12 > > X-Windows terminals.
13
14 > What about screen/tmux?
15
16 I suppose they'd do at a pinch, but they're both things which get
17 between Linux and my applications, and like X-Windows, they offer
18 "features" which I don't need and don't want, and hijack key sequences.
19
20 But I will look into it if I have to. For the moment, I can get by by
21 not updating my kernel.
22
23 > --
24 > Neil Bothwick
25
26 > WinErr 00D: Window closed - Do not look outside
29 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).