From: wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Does Gentoo support more than 8 bits per color channel?
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 18:26:25
1 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 > I'm considering buying a new monitor (and graphics card) which
5 > supports 10 bits per color channel.
6 > Will Gimp on a Linux machine (X11) support this now or in the near
7 > future. Or is it just waste of money to buy a monitor with more than
8 > 8 bits/color channel? Many thanks for some hints,
9 > Helmut
10
11 I have two identical machines. GPU is Radeon R7 250E and Monitor is
12 a Samsung U32D970. Monitor and GPU both supporting 10bpc. One machine
13 is running Gentoo and the other Win7.
14
15 When I start Radeon Settings on the Win machine, it shows me that
16 10bpc are used. All graphic software that I use on the win machine
17 also supports 10bpc.
18
19 On the gentoo machine I use xf86-video-ati-7.10.0 and
20 xorg-server-1.19.5. When I look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log I can see that
21 only 8bpc are used.
22
23 At the time when I bought my monitor (nearly 3 years ago) I searched
24 the internet for information about Linux and 10bpc. All I found was
25 that it is not supported by the xorg drivers. As I do no graphic work
26 on gentoo this is not that important for me. So I never searched again.
27 Maybe it is supported now but I didn't read anything about that on the
28 xorg-announce mailing list so I don't think so.
29
30 Maybe other drivers (nvidia or proprietary amd) are supporting 10bpc.
31 But I never searched for that information.
32
33 Although the newest Gimp supports 16 and 32 bit images and also can
34 use these color depths on internal rendering, I don't know if Gimp
35 could support more than 8bpc color output if the display would be able
36 to.
39 Regards
40 wabe