From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kvm and libvirt
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:34:46
1 The 29/03/11, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
2
3 > At the moment I have a running install of kvm.
4 > I do all the virtual networking manually with help of tap adaptors and
5 > bridges.
6 > And I use LVM for the VMs disks.
7 >
8 > It is working very well, but to add a VM or to migrate it to another
9 > host is laborious.
10 >
11 > Now I have started playing with libvirt, and I would like to know if
12 > anyone else here uses the combination of kvm and libvirt?
13
14 I do. Managing VM from libvrit works well for basic features. That
15 beeing said, I had to manage snapshots outside of the provided features
16 due to internal dependencies between qcow2 snapshots.
17
18 I still have to test migration as it requires virtual disks shared over
19 the network.
20
21 > What is the most dynamic way of automatically setting up virtual
22 > networks per VM? Should I use qemu-ifup?
23
24 I think the best alternative is to use a dedicated virtual bridging
25 tool but virt-manager (so, libvirt I guess) already provide a network
26 system (based on tun/tap AFAIR).
29 Nicolas Sebrecht