From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dispatch-conf spells disaster-RESOLVED
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:00:48
1 Please see my reply to Neil re this thread
2
3 > Once you marked some directories from protection,
4 > emerge will, instead of
5 > using the file from a package, install the file from
6 > a package
7 > as ._cfg-<filename> (or somesuch). Tools like
8 > dispatch-conf and
9 > etc-update are then used to merge your file with the
10 > one(s)
11 > named ._cfg-<filename>.
12
13 I replied(to Neil) before remembering why I put
14 CONFIG_PROTECT="-*" in my make.conf(if that's the
15 problem here). Now it comes back to me. Whenever I
16 used to emerge something there'd inevitably be a long
17 followup where I had to answer y/n to a list of files
18 that were due to be overwritten IIRC. From a forum I
19 was advised to write the above CONFIG_PROTECT line.
20 That's when was I new to gentoo and I haven't changed
21 it since.
22
23 But where is CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK, since grepping
24 make.conf only returns the one line, CONFIG_PROTECT?
25
26 -Maxim
27
29 Do You Yahoo!?
30 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
31 http://mail.yahoo.com
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list