From: Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson@×××.nu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Motherboard/CPU upgrade
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 07:37:30
1 Hi,
2
3 A few days ago I had to replace my Motherboard and CPU. Now I want to make use
4 of the new CPUs features.
5 Old CPU: Intel Pentium 4
6 New CPU: Intel Pentium 4 (Prescott)
7 # cat /proc/cpuinfo
8 processor : 0
9 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
10 cpu family : 15
11 model : 4
12 model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
13 stepping : 3
14 cpu MHz : 3209.105
15 cache size : 2048 KB
16 fdiv_bug : no
17 hlt_bug : no
18 f00f_bug : no
19 coma_bug : no
20 fpu : yes
21 fpu_exception : yes
22 cpuid level : 5
23 wp : yes
24 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
25 cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm pni monitor
26 ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr
27 bogomips : 6340.60
28
29 So I'm planning to do something along these lines:
30
31 1) Change CFLAGS in make.conf
32 Old: CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=pentium4 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
33 New: CFLAGS="-O2 -march=prescott -mmmx -msse -msse2 --pipe
34 -fomit-frame-pointer"
35 2) emerge --emptytree system
36 3) emerge --emptytree world
37
38 Would that be the right CFLAGS for this CPU? And would it be the right
39 procedure to get my system "up to date" with my new CPU?
40
41 Regards,
42 --
43 Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
45 This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list